Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A new project, perhaps?

Since we live in an apartment and won't be here (hopefully) for much longer, I've been looking for ways to make the place a little more our own. There are so many things I would change, but since we rent, we can't do that. Our apartment has a lot of (tacky) built in pieces of furniture and we don't have any more room, so furniture is out of the question. All I can really do is find smaller items that fit in with what we already have.

Well, I was up early this morning and was just surfing the internet when I came across this:

Source

Not everything in the picture is my style, but I loved the idea of framing old blueprints. But after a little time on eBay, they aren't easy to find and you aren't likely to find a specific building. I turned to google and the only Seattle area blueprint I could find online was this one of Pike Place Market from 1921:

Source

It's not exactly what I was thinking, but it is a well-known landmark. And it's just a picture on the internet, not a print I can just order.

Then I got thinking... I'm an okay painter, why not buy a canvas and do my own? 

So... that's what I'm going to do.

And during my search, I found this cool vintage Seattle map showing parks and playgrounds from 1909 (once again, just a photo, not a print):

Source
I LOVE this one. So I'm going to try to do this one for sure. 

Canvases are on sale for 50% off at Michael's, as are some of the their paints, so I think I'm going to be making a run tonight... I'm really excited [ and a little nervous : / ] to see how this is going to turn out...

I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have some great ideas! You can also print something like this off on paper and use something like modge podge to "paste" it onto an inexpensive canvas.... just a thought...

    ~Chris aka mom

    ReplyDelete