Sunday, April 17, 2011

Frittata 101

Every Sunday, we try to make a real breakfast. 

Sometimes, the bf cooks, some times I do.

But last weekend, I wanted to do something different than eggs over easy with bacon and toast, which is pretty typical around here.

So I did a little searching for something new... And decided to make a frittata.

I love eggs, but I'm always nervous about under cooking them and doing something like a frittata or a quiche seemed beyond my abilities, but I gave it a go anyway.

And it's super easy. And reheatable. And versatile.

And just to show you, here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

- 8 large eggs
-1/2 cup milk
-salt & pepper
- whatever you want to put in it: meat, veggies, cheese etc.
-1 tbsp olive oil

Method:


1) Scramble your eggs with a whisk


2) Add milk. I used skim this time, but I used left over half & half last week. Turned out great both times.


3) Add cheese if you want to. I usually use about 1/2 cup, but the bf shredded it right into the bowl for me and I'd estimate this is closer to 3/4 cup.


4) Add whatever seasonings you want. I used about 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp garlic power (not  garlic salt!)

Note: You want to mix the eggs VERY well. Use a whisk to incorporate as much air as you can so your frittata will be very light a fluffy.


5) Heat (on medium) 1 tbsp olive oil in a 12" pan. MAKE SURE it can go in the oven, because you're going to put the whole pan under the broiler at the end.


6) Chop up everything that needs to cook for awhile. I used misc breakfast meats we had on hand and onions. 


7) Toss in pan and cook.



8) Next, chop up any thing that's pre-cooked or doesn't have to cook for very long. I used spinach and mushrooms.


I added the mushrooms when the meat was almost done, just so they'd cook a little bit.


If  you're using spinach, toss it in once everything is done.


It will wilt really, really fast. It only took about 30 seconds.

You're also going to want to turn the broiler on here, so it'll be hot when you put the pan in the oven.


9) Once all the meats/veggies are cooked, toss in the egg/milk/cheese mixture


10) Scramble the mixture. When it's scrambled but still wet (still too raw to eat), even it out and let cook for about two minutes.

The whole point of doing this is to let the bottom set up.


11) Pull the top of the eggs aside with a spatula to check the bottom. It will look more like done scrambled eggs, while the top will still be very wet.

12) Even everything back out and stick the pan under the broiler. You want it about 6 inches away from the broiler. 

Another note: You can top it with more cheese before putting it in the oven if you want to.

13) Broil until top is browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out ALMOST clean. Leaving in the oven until done will result in dry eggs.


14) Let rest for 5 minutes. This will allow the eggs to finish cooking without drying out.


15) Cut into 6-8 slices, serve and enjoy!

Freyja's a little jealous when we make breakfast...


But she's having breakfast with Rocky the Raccoon instead.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Your frittata looks like it turned out well. I'd eat a piece! : )

    I LOVE eggs. I'd eat them for breakfast and dinner if I could. Quiche isn't so bad, I've been working on it, using Julia Child's recipe too and it's getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum does that ever look good. I may have to try that myself, since of course I have plenty of eggs and soon (hopefully) my own veggies to add... I guess I'll still have to buy bacon :)

    Love that Freyja had a breakfast companion too!

    ~Chris aka Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so it's now Tuesday morning as opposed to Sunday morning and I would eat this breakie ANY day of the week (if I had time to prepare it). Looks delish! You could have shared a wee taste with Freyja as long as there were no onions in her piece. Just look at that sweet little face and the fact that your Frittata looks so much tastier than her kibble!

    ReplyDelete